Thursday, July 28, 2011

Freedom extended

Upon returning from Maine, I found myself extremely stressed thinking about chemo starting again in only a few days. I haven't felt nearly as well as I thought I would after two months of no chemo. So I decided to meet with my doctor and ask her some questions that I hadn't known to ask during my last appointment. I really only expected to be able to talk over the phone for a few minutes so I was surprised when her office called and asked if I could come in.

I knew that she was on vacation last week so she must have been swamped this week. Regardless, she spent close to an hour with me yesterday morning. I went by myself and went down my list one by one. We addressed my side effects first and then my questions about alternative therapies. I may be able to have immune therapy, but I'm not a candidate for freezing my tumors. She is open to mixing alternative and traditional therapy which I am grateful for.

The best news was that I can delay chemo for up to 3 months if I choose to. I don't wnt to delay it that far, but I do want to have more time to get stronger and put on more weight.

One point that she did make extremely clear was that I need to have as little stress as possible. And how to achieve that one? There is my homework. I think I'll go back to Maine.

Today I am grateful for: good doctors, freedom, my support team.

No comments:

Post a Comment