Sunday, July 3, 2011

Independence

Have you ever wondered why the Fourth of July is rarely referred to as Independence day? They have basically the same number of syllables so it isn't because it is easier to say. Even in December with all of the controversy over the word Christmas, we don't say, Happy Twenty Fifth of December!

I've been thinking a lot about freedom and independence. I have two teenagers and a son who is 20, so I've been well aware of independence issues for a while now. It is really fascinating to see the kids grow up and be more independent. I don't always like it, but nonetheless, it is fascinating. I feel, as a parent, that I am slowly opening the curtain for the kids to see and experience more of life.

And on the other side of the coin, I feel as though since I am now in my forties, that I am finally independent. Not that I wasn't in my twenties and thirties, but with young children and just starting with a career, there always seems to be a lot of limits. And that's why it is especially frustrating to find out that I will be back in chemo in August. I have a mindset, that I must change, that my life is on hold while in chemo treatment. I don't have to jam everything into July. I'll plan things into August and September. And I'll be strong enough to do whatever I want to do.


Today I am grateful for: my church, rain overnight, and sun during the day.

1 comment:

  1. It's me, your brother...I too have been wondering why we no longer celebrate Independence Day (July 4), Decoration Day (May 30), Armistice Day (November 11), or SAINT Valentine's Day (which is now just Valentines Day, with no thought toward poor St. Valentine himself). BUT, we still celebrate St. Patrick's Day--that hasn't become simply "Patrick's Day".
    Also, there were a whole calendar of other holidays, most of them church-related, by which people used to predict the weather. Nanny used to refer to some of these days from time to time (the Visit. of Mary, for example, in the summer--said to help predict the weather for August, much as Groundhog Day--that is "Presentation Day"--the day that the Baby Jesus was presented in the Temple--predicts the weather).

    ReplyDelete