Saturday, July 2, 2011

Neuropathy

Last weekend, Steve and I walked out onto our deck in bare feet.  The sun was hot that day, and Steve was shifting his weight back and forth from one foot to the other.  At first, I couldn't figure out what he was doing, then I realized and asked him if the deck was hot.  My feet couldn't feel it because they were numb on the bottom. 

A possible side effect of chemo is neuropathy which is a tingling feeling in your hands and feet.  It feels like your feet/hands were asleep and they are just waking up.  I have it in my feet and a little bit in my hands.  Most of the time, it doesn't bother me, but at night it can keep me awake.  I have to be careful of walking on uneven surfaces and going up and down steps.  And, I'm not supposed to wear heels.  Although now that I'm thinking about it, it may be a good time to try those super high heels that I like, but have been able to wear because they hurt my feet.  I wouldn't even feel it now.  Hmmmmm...

Hopefully, this annoying side effect will go away, and there are things I can do about it - like remember to take my B vitamins, and put Vicks Vapor Rub on my feet before I go to bed.  Of course, the smell keeps me awake at that point.

Today I am grateful for: freedom, sunny days, and Saturdays

No comments:

Post a Comment